Friday, December 28, 2007

Facing your fears.

In October, i received a call from An officer in langhorne pa who informed me that they had apprehended a woman who was carrying a false NYS id and credit card with my name, address and dob but her picture. She was apprehended after trying to withdraw money from a local bank. She had been to three banks in Philly and made three prior withdrawals.

I called the bank and after 4 days, i had my money back. I have had to close out all my accounts and reconstruct my financial life. I have been meeting with bank personnel each week from Halloween to Thanksgiving. I still have not resolved all of the elements of recreating my financial life but i am on my way out of Identity theft.

After three continuances, I took yesterday off to go to Bucks County to go to court. My purpose was to face the situation and have some power for myself. I was very nervous going to court but it was under the surface. At court, i met the two bank personnel who stopped the woman and heard the teller testify to how she identified her as a fraud. I heard the story of what happened that day before she was apprehended. I heard the story and got to thank her for stopping this woman from clearing out my bank account. I met her manager, the Loss and Prevention staff at the bank and the Police officer that was working on the case.

our case was heard last, and I saw the man who claimed he was a gypsy cab driver only. He came to court in his Lincoln Navigator that was the get away car. THey didnt have access to the other two men that were in the SUV. I met the two cops that arrested the woman who portrayed herself as me. One cop told me that when she was arrested she informed the cop that she was to be beaten because she didnt "get the money". I had some empathy for her except that i realized that it was MY MONEY that she was attempting to get. I have mixed feelings for her and the CAB driver. They are scum in my mind for assuming my identity and taking money that doesnt belong to them.
the men are immigrants from Africa who are making their living frauding individuals. the woman who stole my money was a worker for them. She is currently in jail and the FBI will pursue her.

Last night, i woke many times. I allowed myself to feel the fear that i have refused to feel. Fear of my security, my resources, did they open additional accounts, loans with my information and some of the anger i am feeling. How dare they take what doesnt belong to them. The crime was random and my information was taken from the bank by personnel. THe crooked personnel is offset by the women i met yesterday.

they were modest in doing their job, but for me it was more than that. They saved me from being wiped out, at least temporarily as the bank replaced MY money . their actions allowed the cop to bring it to my attention not find out in some random way or by checking my statement. their actions were herotic for me and for the other people who were victims of crime by these 4 individuals. These tellers were astute and asked the questions that made a difference in my life. they made a scary situation alot easier and i am grateful for them.

i am glad i went even though i wasnt needed. I needed to face the situation and need to put some closure on the events of October. From April 2006, i am forced to face some basic security issues and realized i could survive a threat to those issues.
they were my basic fear and they have been threatened and I have survived them.