Wednesday, May 14, 2008

a student

This semester I have become a student of social policy. My journey began in January with the beginning of Primary Season. I started reading everything i could and watched all the debates. I watched the Pundits and read the website. I started the semester teaching the 14th Amendment and the Voter Rights Act of 1965. I knew that this primary season would be something special.

as Part of the Tribeca film festival, i saw a documentary on the primary and election of John F Kennedy and the energized younger generation of the 1959 Kennedy resembled the primary run of Barak Obama. The energized "based" doesnt mean votes. The debate between Kennedy and Nixon looks like Democrat vs Republican except the Democratic candidate, is not catholic but rather black or a woman. There were many similarities but Obama is no Kennedy..

His policies on NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND and Universal Health Care are those of Senator TED KENNEDY Who has been trying to get these through Congress for over 20 years. So its Kennedy, Tom Daschle boosting the OBAMA campaign, the policies that Obama speaks about are immature and many times not realistic but did he bring new people to the Party. Many of whom cannot tell you WHY they voted for him, some people because he was black. As Katt Williams said on the View " cant we just celebrate for a while" a celebration is in order but its premature and at what cost.

I have watched the pundits and the press, skewer Senator Clinton. I have seen her Skewer herself and I have seen them use her husband as a skewer. I am not sure the US knows what to do with an ex president as a first man. I am not sure the country knows what to do with a Female president. Will Bill Clinton be able to have a role relegated to Easter Egg Rolls or Christmas tree decorating. what a waste of talent.

I have seen Senator Clinton having to work hard, know more, be sharper, be keener, be more of a vulture. She was the frontrunner who maybe took it all for granted and after IOWA, had to come back and after NH had to come back, loss after loss, like a rollercoast, I have watched her.... Her policies are sound and make sense. She plans to care for the vunerable populations, Women, children, vets, the working class. etc.
I think her idea of a poverty czar is a nod to Edwards and a needed position. Clinton is tested and has had to learn to be defended. A woman candidate, any woman does not have an easy road. I think the gentleman's club made it harder for her. As a woman and as Senator Clinton, baggage and all.

THere are still many unanswered questions about Obama for me. I dont believe he is a muslim, i want to know his relationship to Farakkan and the Nation of Islam. I want to know his view towards Israel. His lack of experience and lack of international knowledge, means that he will take 4 years to be trained to be President. He will not get his plans through congress, they are still too undefined and unrealistic. I still believe his universal Health care is not universal, it leaves too many people out. I think that he spews inaccurate information from Massachusetts Mandates. He cannot fund NCLB. Pay as you go is the budget policy. Will either candidate settle Iraq, no i dont believe they will but i believe Senator Clinton more.

I hear HRC speak and I know that her policies are sound and doable. It too bad that the season may end without her policies being the platform. The public may not be in agreement with the person but the policies are necessary change.

I believe that Florida and Michigan deserve their voice be heard. i will still study this election as i am teaching Social Policy again in the fall and will have my class follow the election.

for more information

On the Issues