Wednesday, August 09, 2006

little miss sunshine

Jessica Hayes, California, has served Moniteau County proudly for the last year as Miss Moniteau 2005.

She said upon hearing her named called as Miss Moniteau “I was so excited about the opportunity.”

Over the last year Hayes has made many appearances in parades and also took part in various other activities throughout the county. Other activities she took part in include the Pre-View Cattle Show, she sang at Double-X Speedway, she also sang the national anthem kicking off the Ham and Turkey Festival and attended several Cattlemen's Dinners.

Hayes will head to the State Fair Pageant on Wednesday, Aug. 9, to register and the competition will get under way on Thursday, Aug. 10, at 10 a.m., with the interview followed by the talent competition at 2 p.m., Thursday. The evening gown competition will begin at 2 p.m., on Friday, Aug. 11, followed by the crowning. “I am kind of nervous but excited at the same time. I think it will be fun,” she said. For the talent part of the competition she will be singing “Down at the Twist and Shout” by Mary Chapin-Carpenter.

Hayes said that one of the most memorable experiences she had as Miss Moniteau was singing the national anthem at the Ham and Turkey Festival. “I always take the opportunity to sing the national anthem,” she said. “It gives me a sense of patriotism. I have a lot of friends in the military and it makes me feel like I am giving back a little more.”

Hayes said that her reign as Miss Moniteau would not have run as well had it not been for the help of a few people in the area. “Thank you to Carol Rackers. She has been my eyes and ears; and thanks to my family for getting me to the places I needed to be; and to the dealerships for providing the cars I used in the parades.”

As for her advice to the next Miss Moniteau Hayes said, “Check yourself in everything that you do and stay on top of the events going on.”

Hayes will be attending North West Missouri State University, Maryville, this fall and will major in ag education and minor in ag business. She is the daughter of Abe and Sharon Rohrbach, California, and Darlene Hayes, Merriam, Kan.