Sunday, August 24, 2008

Summer review

The Summer has passed so quickly, it seems like only yesterday, I was making decisions about Appel Farm (which turned out to be a hot decision but the rain held off) and to skip Clearwater Festival. Due to my wednesday night class, I pretty much missed most of the Madison Square park concerts and some night shows.

I then spent the summer in observation or the training room watching the next incarnation of the casework training....two months of sitting without saying a word but following a curriculum and seeing what the trainers were training.

It seems that I spent the summer music season in BIG STADIUMS. What a contrast to my usual small venue- Springsteen at Nassau and Giants Stadium. I am not sure I will go to Jersey anymore. The traffic and 20.00 parking are a deterrent. Jones Beach on a Summer night without rain was a great place to see James Taylor, but Great Woods is better. The Garden: REM, Police and Neil Diamond. I am still a little surprised that I jumped on the cult (its like the same cult of fan admiration that I belong to- so i understand this dancing crowd)

the Guy who struck me most, was the tall grey haired guy who did a recitation of " I am, I said" while looking up at the rafters... He was in a zone and this guy was seriously praying " i am, i said"

Then there is Billy Joel....I was so thrilled to get tickets to the LAST SHOW AT SHEA, well it turned out to be the Next to Last show. Billy joel added a show and i wasnt gonna pay an arm and leg to go again. so he invited John Mayer, Don Henley and John Mellencamp to our show...The Friday show, Paul MCCartney, Roger Daltry to the Friday show to represent the Beatles and Who, both who played Shea. I was a hater for a while, til i realized that it was 99 degrees and i should be grateful to be at one of the two shows. Perspective....

Then there was falcon ridge. I had a great time at Falcon Ridge- the friends, lack of stress (that i put on myself) and then ofcourse the rain. The most stress was getting my car down the hill. Once I was leaving during the rain, I could relax. I volunteered for FUV and though I expected a different Falcon Ridge for 20th anniversary, it was great for what it was

I was at the XPN event for one day outdoors and caught Red Molly and Anthony and Abbie. Finally, I made a House Concert at Gene and Isabel's house. Anthony and Abbie at the Living room with the Kennedys. The places where i was were great fun.

I am ending the summer with three shows by Suzanne Vega. Tarrytown, Brooklyn and Westbury. Last night in Westbury, Suzanne was with Marc Cohn. I happened to be early and went by the venue to find that the show started at 7pm not 8pm. This is the second time this summer. I was 10 minutes late for the two opening acts for REM. and was able to make Suzanne as she started for Marc. The place was rather empty so as i did in the Garden for Neil Diamond and at Tarrytown, i moved around. I sat front row at Tarrytown and last night in Westbury for Suzanne.

Each was different and some of the people at the shows were strange. Why do you need binoculars in the third row? Tarrytown was an older crowd and I was in my car by 1015. Brooklyn, hipsters and Europeans and FUV Suzanne fans all in the Masonic Hall. The treat was there were seats in what i believed was a standing show. and finally last night it was a small Marc Cohn crowd and a few SV fans. I had a great three shows.

I also did a Hudson River Cruise and Raul Malo was the artist. it was good to see him and hear those old Maverick songs.

Summer comes to a close and I have Joan Baez tour and Dar to look forward to. But as for the summer, not enough Dar and clearly the Mary Chapin Carpenter who toured most summer was missing and missed.