Tuesday, November 01, 2005

to blog or not to blog

there have been so many things that i could be blogging about...

do i want to blog about the how the legal system in Philly revictimized me as an accident victim ( remember i was the passenger) or i chose to get up at 4am and leave Brooklyn at 6am and get to Philly by 8am. and how glorious the world looked as it waking up on the NJ turnpike. or how i was done at 2pm and nothing was done so i came home to go to bed at 830pm only to do it all over again the next day. Then there was the matter of waiting all day and picking a jury and deciding not to exercise my rights for a few grand and go home. Its all so scripted and a charade between lawyers. Except for mine, i really hated one of them. I didnt let my stubborn feelings guide my actions and didnt take a risk, i just took the thoughtout calculated route and went home.


I went to see Suzanne Vega last week at Zankel Hall and i love the poetry of Suzanne Vega. On the way, i saw Huey Lewis and thought what the hell is he doing in NY coming out of whole foods. Sunday i saw in the paper that he was playing in Chicago. I went to Zankel and i turned around and there was lou reed. little did i know he and suzanne go way back to 1987 when she said at the Bottom Line "sometimes i wish i was lou reed"

Suzanne is a poet who uses words and sounds to create pictures. her direct songs or her more metaphoric ones just kept me captivated- she did a setlist of standards SV songs- Caramel, pentitent, gypsy, in liverpool, queen and the soldier, luka, tom's diner with a reluctant NY audience singing along, marelene on the wall, solitaire, i wont be your maggie may, when heros go down, left of center, small blue thing and then she did My favorite plum, sand and song, and have your seen sir jones.
i just wanted more suzanne..

Suzanne Vega's website

saturday, i got a much needed oil change and went up the hudson to see the leaves of gold and red and brown and yellow and ended up in peekskill. On the way, i heard a tale on the radio about paul robeson and the Peekskill riots and how he was stoned out of peekskill and there i was going to that town to see the peace loving, joan Baez

i met a man with two women from ireland and i had coffee with them before the show and then i took my seat. I spied a small grey haired man go talk to the tour manager and lo and behold it was Mr Williams, Dar's dad. I went over and got my hug and Mrs W was at the merch table so i missed her. the lights started to dim so i went to my seat

Joan sang Drove old dixie down, joe hill for cindy sheehan, xmas time in washington, Finlandia, jerusalem, caleb meyer, diamonds and rust, gracias de la vida, baby blue,
hard rain is gonna fall, Long black veil, Carrickfergus, with g-d on our side, silver dagger, stand by me, coconuts, scarlet tide by elvis costello and tbone burnett,

joan had Graham Maby on bass and erik della pena on everything else. and the set list was great, Joan was relaxed and asked for scarves so she got some from teh audience and wore her winter coat, a great military style coat with gold styling. SHe read poetry when her guitar was having problems.. it was a great show that left me flat.

i dont know if it is because i have lost interest in her music for music that is more meaningful or cutting edge. I am not sure why i did get jazzed for the show or left fulfilled

i went back to the DR yesterday and i am released from his care. I dont have to ever see my surgeon again. he hugged me and i thanked him and he told me that i had to SUNSCREEN my scar for a year. Whenever i went out in the sun, SUNSCREEN the SCAR or i will have a black line down my arm...

so festivals, daily travels.... sunscreen the arm....the banter of the summer, sunscreen the arm

i got a call that a far away friend is sick and has been in the hospital and has recently also lost one of her dogs.. I was called because this friend wanted me to know directly. i am awaiting a return call so i can provide this friend with some support and try to help her through a trying time..

i am sick of my staff skirting around the issues adn doing the minimum or not acting or not taking responsibility. its time that they move forward and not wait for me or allow me to take the heat... i am working harder than i have worked at CMS, pulling up two computer systems similateously.

my students are not bright. Their midterms were below my expectations. THeir grades reflect it. I am worried for them as professionals. i teach again tonight..

fall is in the air and i love autumn, the chill, the leaves, teh need for a jacket and heat..

sunday, i went to queens to get a hair cut...and then walked to park slope and the park to see more leaves..

soon it will be thanksgiving

i guess i have lots to be thankful for this year