Sunday, June 03, 2007

Blessings

In the past 6 months, i have found many many blessings that have come into my world. Besides getting a job that i love doing. I have had the chance to work with the most interesting participants. THey are energetic and committed and concerned and really want to work hard at getting it right. I have mastered the cirriculum and can work with the ideals that are set forth.

The winter brought a cold Patty griffin show down on the lower east side as a gift from my friend Nancy who won Artist Den Tickets. I spent most of the spring with Mary Chapin Carpenter shows and Dar Williams shows. I find that i dont have much left over after work for a whole lot. I dont even get to check my email let alone answer any mail.

I had been teaching two classes on satuday morning in soho. One at 9am -Social Policy 1. I loved teaching this class but it took a lot of time and effort. It was an american civilization and history course from a Social Service perspective. I think i have a renewed comphrensive understanding of American policy and laws. From revolution, through the civil war, and then the depression and the Social Security Act of 1945 and finally the War of Poverty of the 60s. The students were transfers or new admissions to Social work school. the desire to learn and the natural anxiety and development was astounding. These are some of the best students i have had at Adelphi.

My second class was Social work with children . Met some new students, others were some students that I taught the semester before in Social Work with the Individual. I find teaching in Manhattan that the same students take the required courses and end up with the same professors because there are so few of us that teach on saturday. these students taught me more than i have in the past.

Teaching two classes on saturday after working all week is exhausting but i am now teaching on wednesday night in summer... 10 weeks of Human Behavior and the Social Environment. I have never taught this class and havent really thought about it yet.
Its now coming on week two.. Adolescence and Adulthood and old age. Not really my expertise but it will be fine. I can master the basics and get through and teaching this summer will provide some extra $$$

The fall will bring another course... or the Social Work with Individual course again.

THe spring- Brought 7 Mary Chapin carpenter shows... as she toured her cd the Calling. I learned that I could drive and park on the street in Manhattan on most days and could get out of town to make it through NY to NJ so i could get to Princeton or Redbank or Wayne for Dar and John Gorka. Chapin was in illhealth. Her sore back was out and it was obvious that she was stiff and in pain...but she sang like an angel. Peekskill, Wilkes Barre and NYC... it was a great short tour and Dar is back once or twice a month....Seeing Dar is always a treat and still a treat.

Last week was the annual King Of Prussia show complete with Dar tom foolery...