Monday, February 11, 2008

Henry

I walked to the store tonight in bitter cold. I took a route that I never take. I walk the path to the store 3-5 times a week and never deviate til tonight. On my way, i heard a child screaming, the screams got louder and louder. As i approached, i saw a young person, in fear, racked in pain and holding on to someone with a dog. I approached and realized it was a young teen or tall boy. As i approached, i stopped and i heard a young girl screaming about her Dog. I asked her if she was okay and she explained that she was out with her dog Henry and a car came and hit Henry. She saw the car go up and moved Henry to the curb. She saw him take a few final breaths and then he died.
The girl was screaming and crying and I looked down to see a Yorkie lying on its side.
I asked where she lived or who was home. I walked over to the building and apartment and buzzed, buzzed and buzzed. i tried to get in the building and got directions to the apartment. When i started up something said, head down... i saw a boy looking panicked and asked if he was Darlene's brother. I followed him to the scene where his older sister was calling police, 911 etc about the dead dog...

Finally after 10 minutes the mother came out and screaming about Henry. SHe picked him up and shook him, he was like a ragdoll and his head just dangled. The young girls screamed and all the kids were crying. THe mother yelled at the 11 year old in Spanish called her stupid. She was crying and then stopped when her mother yelled.

I spoke to her about it not being her fault and that because she saw Henry get hit and die, she may have nightmares. WHen the situation was "under some control" i asked if the kids were okay and i went on my way.