Wednesday, February 06, 2008

into the wild

Walking to the grocery store, I pass a Cheder and religious function hall having an event on a Tuesday Night. Under the el train, I see a young boy of 7-9 reluctantly, and timidly sticking his thumb out to catch a ride. Nervously, attempting to create mischief, to do something he shouldn't is the guilt on this face, but never the less. Standing in a black mens hat, with long payas, carrying a praybook and religious shawl is a boy under the El.
In front of the store pulls up a man in a car, with the same black hat, same payas, a total stranger so i approach him and ask him to see to the boy. I dont ask him to give him a ride but rather to check about him. Talk to him, The religious man refuses, saying to me " what do you want me to do, I cant do anything ". Responses like this from the holy of holy is not unusual so i call him on it. Professed to be more religous, more sanctified to his G-d, I say " so you call yourself religious" He stumbles for words and goes off to do his business, leaving a child in potential harms way.

I enter the store and approach a man, modern orthodox with a kippa and ask him to check into the boy. the boy will not talk to me, or use my cellphone. But a man, a religious man he will respond to. I get turned away. Man number two tells me he will check and man number three who i share a conversation with his wife about pyrex, says he will drive around to see about the boy.

As i leave the store, the boy is gone and i hope safe