Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11 again

i am unsettled today. I am aware that the date is 9-11. I woke and really didnt want to watch TV, or to be reminded that today is september 11. Yesterday the weather was more like that september morning 7 years ago. Today is colder, more crisp in the air, more fall like. Monday and Wednesday had the sun shining in an Indian summer.
Today, I entered Manhattan aware of the fire stations. I saw firemen in the best blue and white uniforms. I saw some officers later in the day, in full dress uniform. I saw some officers later in the day coming out of taverns. I then saw two drunken firefighters. I saw the alters of flowers and pictures and notes left for the firehouses. This has become my new 9-11.
Today Mayor Bloomberg talked about how names will be ready by school children representing the countries of the people who were lost. First it was partners, then children, then more relatives, now school children. Bloomberg talked about this continuing for 10 years if appropriate.
the first year the pole of lights were soothing as i drove home from Queens, year two I was at Adelphi and walked out of school into that empty space where the trade towers were to see those two lights. They are soothing. Last year they were annoying and meaningless. This year I wanted to get home before dark to avoid looking at them.
I remembered being home and the papers floating in my neighborhood.

Actually i was reminded of 9-11 and its aftermath at the FUV picnic where I was introduced to a firefighter who was at the Bottom Line. THis first responder folkie spoke and then told us stories of what it was like for him that night at the Bottom Line and for months afterwards. John Platt reminded me of the Bottom Line and of 9-11 recently..

Presidential candidates in NYC, calling for community service. I now think that it is Bush Bullshit and after atrocities of the Bush Administration, community service calls are more Bush Bull.

Today is 9-11 again. It will come again next year and every year. Today i have my feelings, I am sure I will see the firefighters in dress blues coming from taverns and the alters set up outside firehouses.