Friday, October 24, 2008

Jim Brown and Horton Foote

I was walking up 5th ave and didnt see Dave Farrow reading the Sony Reader in the window. Jim Brown, football player and sportscaster was reading Tony Danza's book. He stops and read to himself and I didnt realize that Mr Brown heard me say "please read on, mr. Brown." he answered me and I asked him if he liked the Reader. He said he was going to buy one. I asked if he would give it for Xmas gifts. He told me that he would get Terry Bradshaw a large print one for Christmas. He and I chatted about Red Auerbach as he was from Harvard and how he was just up with Kraft as the Patriots and CBS had the first deal for NFL. I asked him if the Patriots were out of it and he said No way. We talked about the Celtics and sports in general. I took some pix of Jim Brown to be posted later.

Tben I went to the theater at the Booth on 46th and Broadway and i was the only one in my row. 6 th row center, til the Manager placed a very old man and a young woman with a Pad. It was Horton Foote, playwright and screenwriter. Tender Mercies, Trip to Bountiful, screenplay and play. I spoke to Mr Foote about how he captures the American family, in the vein of Lillian Hellman and told him I was a fan. I asked him to sign my playbill. The man obliged me and scrawled a message. He is 92 years old. His 20 year old assistant was away from her post and I kept mr foote company.