Tuesday, September 19, 2006

a day with Garlic, Dar and my neices

Dar's performance at the Garlic and Arts Festival was a benefit Seeds
of Solidarity, http://www.seedsofsolidarity.org/ as part of the Echoes
initiative. It was held on a farm in the middle of the Mohawk Trail in
north west massachusetts. Well for me, it meant something totally
different.

I left NYC on saturday after class and drove up to my parents house in
Massachusetts- i decided to skip Red Molly in Franklin and the Boston
Folk Festival and made plans with my three neices to join me for the
Garlic and Arts fest. they wanted to go so i went to get them on
sunday morning. They live an hour from my mom and an hour or so from
the site of the festival. it was the first time that these three were
to spend the day with me without their mom or my mom. Just aunt sharon
and the girls...

My neices are 14 and twin 12 year olds so the snacks came in handy
throughout the day.
i set the rules for them.

1. they didnt have to like the music but they COULD not put their MP3
players in their ears during Dar because it was rude.

2. they didnt have to like the festival but we werent leaving til after Dar

3. no excessive fighting

well they were sitting in my car anxiously waiting while i talked to
their mom. we had three cell phones, 4 Mp3 players, too many jackets,
more water than we could drink, More Mike and Ikes than possible to be
consumed and one Ambuterol pump.

we headed out to look for pumpkins and road side stands. We found
none. We did find a long line to park so that we could enter the
festival. we parked the car and joined the many hundreds who were
coming to see Dar and all that Garlic. We didnt know what to expect so
we started to walk around.

Being an aunt of a newly diagnosed asthmatic, i found the first aid
tent in case we needed it.

we then started to walk around and see the booths. I was surprised
that my neices knew more about renewal energy and solar panels than i
thought and they were not interested in eating any food. They were
looking at earrings and at the booths but passed on the free samples
of tastings. we bought one set of earrings for my oldest neice.

we ran into Patty Romanoff and it was good to see her. My neices liked
her, even before we visited the cd table. We found Trisha and i put
my shopping bag of essentials down. The farm was a little dusty and
there was lots of hay so i was watching my neices breathing and
making sure she was okay.

we then decided to sit and wait for Dar to come on. She was about 15
minutes late so we played cards til dar came on. ( told you we packed
way too much)

Dar came on and they attentively watched... Dar was dressed in a red
tank Seeds of Solidarity teeshirt and jeans

i know she played

Babysitter
Are you out there
teen for g-d
the hudson
end of the summer
spring street
christians and pagans
you're aging well
when i was a boy
the one who knows ( with stephen joining her)
as cool as i am
blue light of the flame

the show ended and we went backstage to say hello to Dar. We then
stopped to say good bye to patty and headed to the Car

i was afraid to ask them how they liked the show but they liked Dar
alot and would come to another festival so my goal of them not hating
both was accomplished. They wanted to play the CD on the way home.

we cracked open more water, all the snacks, looked for pumpkins,
stopped for dinner, got ice cream cones and talked about school,
Spanish class, being in HS and twin telepathy and then it was time to
drop em off to their mom. My neice asked me to load the cd into her
MP3 player so she could keep listening to Dar...

so there you have it, 3 new Dar fans, a successful adventure with Aunt
Sharon, a day at festival and No asthma attack. ( heather thinks we
worry too much anyway). i left them overstimulated, sugared up,
overtired and wound up for hours. But that became their moms problem
with me they were great.

so there you have it.... Garlic, a farm, 4 women and Dar

sharon