Sunday, January 15, 2006

January 14th

for those of you who know my history with my birthday, it isnt a great thing. There have been many years where people have died or plans fall through or snow or cold has interrupted plans. Then there was that fateful college dinner party that didnt wait for me so i really have not had expectations or really plan for the day. Many of the nights have been spent either alone or at the theater while i have lived here in NY. My family doesnt make a big deal about birthdays..
until this year, i tried to make it a special day and learned something this year..

i went to dinner with my friend Fay and we ate lobster at cafe espanol on Bleeker and i came home. I slept in and got a call from my sister and neices. I rarely talk to her for over an hour and we caught up. I started my saturday cooking errands and make baked oatmeal and baked tofu and roasted chickpeas. I then cleaned the bathroom and around 1230 decided to do some errands in Manhattan..

i passed up chita rivera tickets and sarah jones bridge and tunnel tickets and figured i would go to the World Financial center to see the Nebraska Springsteen tribute as part of the guitar festival but didnt do that

it started raining and i didnt have an umbrella but i really didnt care while it was warm. I went shopping and went to the green market at Union Square...i saw jeffrey steingarten, food writer and judge of Iron Chef america eating his way through the green market at union square...

i do this most saturdays and went to return my ticket at joes pub for that Patty Griffin thing that isnt going forward so i wanted my money back and went to joes pub. I also wanted to eat from Angelica's kitchen and get some picture frames at Surprise Surprise so i went to 2-3 ave and decided to see what the Loews there was playing. It was cold and pouring so i got a 6pm ticket to Matchpoint. Yes COnnorgal i ended up at the movies like i usually do... i went to get some soy cheese at the store on 3rd ave and did all my errands. Time was working great and i fit it all in...

i went to see matchpoint and then decided to get my butt home. I stopped at whole foods for some cooked shrimp that was on sale and some soup. I came home and decided i didnt want any of the food i bought- i ate salad and left over baked ziti i made with tofu...

so even though i told people it as my birthday, appreciate the well wishes and celebratory message and presents, i had the day i usually have. I skipped the springsteen tribute .. it was too wet to walk to world financial center, so i missed springsteen showing up and i kept to my plan not to spend my money on something unnecessary. i am totally satisfied with the day. It also made me realize that my usual day is not bad or that birthdays are just regular days..i had a good day and just a regular day...and was satisfied with the way the day unfolded..so i guess i am pretty happy with my regular days