Sunday, May 08, 2005

who was that man

I was coming home on the subway tonight and gave up the double seat to two chinese women at canal street so they could sit together. i took a seat on the end that was being blocked by a stroller. I looked at him and he was holding a young child. I asked to sit, and he moved the stroller slightly. He started to talk to the man across the aisle from me... There were a group of men with MEXICO paraphenilia... i thought must be a mexican event in Manhattan today... the woman was sitting infront of him, sleeping....
I started to read, then i started to look at the Baby.. the baby dropped his shoe and i bent down to pick it up...i handed it to the man who said thank you... in a broken english....
i asked how old the baby was..... 7 months.. almost.. 6 months and more said the man...
the child's name is david he said after i asked...
he started to talk to me, asking me if i had children.... he said 1, 2, 3.... i said NONE...
he asked if i wanted children.... i said i always wanted children, and he asked why i have never had them...
i told him that it just hasnt happened... he said there is still time
( i am not sure there is still time, but he believed it)
i told him, i work with many many children..... i take care of children, i explained..
he asked me .... how i take care of them... i said like a teacher.... he asked the child who was smiling at me, taken with me ... if the child wanted me to care for him
he asked me how much i charged to care for kids...
i then explained i am a social worker and dont teach children...
he asked me if i ever married.... i said no i have never married... he said there is still time and you never know when ... your time will come

he got off at beverly road with his son David and wife and i wished her a happy mothers day