Friday, August 05, 2005

the first and second and third family of folk

so i went to volunteer to set up chairs at prospect park on wednesday and i earned a free ticket to Rufus and Ben Folds..

silly me, i think the show starts at 8pm ... NAH.. 7pm..and i left my house at 7 to walk up..I missed BEN LEE.. on my way, i saw this 16 year old who fell off her blades and couldnt move wrist.. Along comes her mother, bitching bitching bitching at her for skating and making her walk in her Blades boots to the car..
I offered to sit with her til MOM got the car.. NO mom was determined to punisher her and make her walk 12 blocks to the car.. SO i flagged down the ever reliable NYPD who refused to give em a ride, who offered to call an ambulance, and who offered to have me sit with the kid while the MOM got the car. Frustrated, i told them they were useless and that i suggested that and even though its not my kid, i felt for the kid

so off i go to hear RUFUS singing and singing.. What a drama Queen but i love him..
the park was full and I had an AA pass to get anywhere..except the VIP area so i went to sit down and i saw a woman who looked like kate and anna mcgarrigle crying..with an AA (R) pass.. then i looked over and i was among the WAINWRIGHT ROYALTY... and i looked over and I spied SUZZY ROCHE...lots of wainwright, roche, McGarrigles..
and then RUFUS breaks out a new song.. KATONAH and introduces his sister MArtha who is not there but his other sister, Lucy ROche..who sings along..

Lucy sang along on Hallelulia too... GO LUCY.. i saw her after the show and she hugged me and asked me what i was doing there..i told her she sounded beautiful

( i know lucy through Dar, Lucy was stephen's nanny last summer and into the early fall) i run into Lucy roche in chelsea all the time..

rufus was wet when he ended his set and BEn Folds started his .. a college band for sure ... a new generations ELton JOhn.. i like them both.. One a Man's man.. and the other a girlyman....or woman's man..

the crowd sang along and knew both artists..

THE ODD MAN OUT TOUR for sure