Thursday, October 20, 2005

when its great to be a teacher

i returned to my class last night after a two week absences ( we had a jewish holiday break) and i was surprised to find almost all the students there. I began with a discussion of Capote as a study of Narcissism and other students piped up with Movies they have seen and could explain how they fit in the field of social work. They are able to apply the theory to practice. I remarked, "look how far you have come in a few weeks?" " when we started this class, you scoffed at me when i applied social work to popular culture, now you are bringing me instances where social work is found."
"congratulations, you are seeing the world differently and i must have done my job"

i then pulled out some articles from the two weeks- One on the child welfare system in NJ, a few on medicaid cuts, some on the custody battle over the 4 year old left on the streets of Queens, only known as VALERY, and other assorted related articles. One student brought her own in to share. " again, i said when we started this class, you scoffed at me when i applied social work to the news paper, now you are bringing me articles where social work is found."
"congratulations, you are seeing the world differently and i must have done my job."

i left school knowing that i have changed the way they see things, how they view the world and will have a greater impact on their seeing things than before they took my class. They may not learn a whole lot about Children and Adolescents, though i think they will, they have begun to learn how to view the world as a social worker. I guess, i have taught them some thing.