Sunday, January 16, 2005

Being 40

I wrote this for my friend, fay who was becoming 40...

Being 40 means knowing and accepting yourself, warts and all. Being 40 solidified my identity, level of aware and I know enough to know that you have to stay flexible and that you will change again. Being 40 allows me to welcome that change and embrace it and celebrate the changes even the ones I don’t expect. Being 40 means my body will be changing and I must embrace and love those changes even if I don’t like them.
My needs will be different, more sleep, less food, more sex, liberated sex, and more green things, more water, and I know enough to give my body what it needs.

At 40 I know the difference between right and wrong and can make informed choices.

With 40, I found financial, spiritual and emotional independence to help enhance my life. I have reviewed my mistakes and have to care for them, accept them and learn from them with out regrets. I have learned at 40 to be kind to myself and try to identify situations that will cause me harm or harm to others and avoid them. If I cant avoid them, I try to reduce them .

The knowledge I have at 40 allows me to choose friends, acquaintances and sort out people who don’t add to my life but take away.. I don’t need to have everyone a friend but I need to be open to new people who can bring energy and glorious things into my sphere.. I don’t have to be liked by everyone and don’t expect to.

40 became a time to reevaluate my life, review the past and set hopes and aspirations for the next 40 years. I have already exceeded and surpassed any goals I can expect.. I have come to embrace the unexpected and marvelous people and experiences have grace my life.
I continue to make space open and keep open spaces for the new…

40 is a marker, to be to collect knowledge, experience and adventures of being and apply it to the next 40.. Being 40 has taught me that I like myself and I am getting better and better at being me.

Being 40 brings a wisdom not that of the sages or guru but a self knowledge, a self contentment. 40 is a pinnacle that leads to a more independent time of life.

Being 40 is fantastic and fabulous…

________________