Monday, January 03, 2005

The Zen of 45

attending a friend's 50th bday party on sunday, made me realize that I better start thinking and working on turning 45. i asked my friend Jeffrey how old he was and he said 52 and he told me that the Zero years have not been bad for him... 30, 40, 50 but the ones ending in 5 have been hard.. he said like 45... i said Jeff I am turning 45 in a few weeks. He said he heard me say it earlier that day.. I was one of the youngest at the party and 45 seemed like a treat... to them...

so driving to work, today, i thought about the Zen of 45 and entering my 45th year open to whatever comes.. and to be at peace with the year without thinking of all the could have, should have ,would have beens but the now and the future and the possibilities... it really hasnt put the regrets out of my mind but its a stance to strive for...

so tonight i walked in the rain and i listened to the Green World, then Between Here and Gone..
it started to rain rain rain... so i pulled my collar up to the cold and rain in classic MCC song fashion and walked on... "so I havent lived in paris or travelled by Lear " from Beautiful Racquet or I have my share of regrets..am i supposed to have NO regrets or have regrets and be kind to them and forgive them... i forget which....

. Then i moved to listen to the The Essential Mary Chapin Carpenter and got to The long way home..

Accidents and inspiration lead you to your destination
Or you can be the one to take the long way home
Roll down the window, turn off the phone
See your life as a gift from the great unknown
and your task is to receive it
Tell your kid a story, hold your lover tight
Make a joyful noise, swim naked at night
read a poem a day, call in well sometime
and laugh when they believe you
Funny now how it goes by so fast
One day im looking over my shoulder at the past
now everyone got to go, got to be, got to get somewhere
Baby dont forget about
you really shouldnt forget about
baby dont forget about whats got you there
i think its what got you there

mary chapin carpenter

I was starting to think about what has gotten me there.... when i stopped at the parkway and a huge SUV hit a puddle and splashed me from chest to toes with dirty street water......
i took it as an omen that i should not take turning 45 too seriously.... and take my zen approach or i should have just danced in the rain..... i just laughed at the whole thing....
i should ask for advise on turning 45 as i gave my friend Fay advise on being 40 ....