Friday, January 07, 2005

the cost of health care

Yesterday was the first time in my life that I chose NOT to fill a prescription from my doctor because of the cost of the prescription. My agency chose to institute a 100 deductible for perscription rather than increasing employee contributions or increasing the agency health care cost. Therefore the 100 dollars which really is 120 with co pay is required. I didnt balk at the 47 when i had to buy antibiotics for my bronchitis but 70 dollars for nasal spray to decongest my sinus cavities was beyond what i was willing to pay. I asked for a cheaper drug and the doctor told me she will give me one that would work. I respect that but i think that the drug representative who visits her provides her with some incentive to write the script for that brand.. calling my plan, i had to pay the whole amount.. any similar drug would cost the same thing so i chose NOT to fill the
script but get an over the counter generic nasal spray that may or may not do the same thing. I askled about the OTC drug and decided that i wanted it anyway.. i bought the cheapest..
isnt it about time that all drugs should be affordable and these choices should not have to be made. the cost of health care is astronomical, not be cause of law suits or insurance but because the industry of medicine is greedy and wants to keep their profits high... there is no real interest in the best medical care only keeping medical care expensive.