Friday, June 17, 2005

163 -16

When i moved jobs and started to work in Jamaica, my offfice didnt have internet service. so on my lunch hour, i would walk to the public library to check my email.
on the way, i would pass 163-16 89th ave. There was a windowed in porch and every day there was a man sitting or lying in the window. He was an obese man, morbidly obese id say.
I would walk by and say hello. Day by Day i would say hello. Hello in there, like the John Prine song. From hello, we began to share a few words. I would take a few moments to talk about the weather or ask about the holidays. A father's day wish or happy new year. I would spend a few minutes talking to the man in 163-16.

Winter came and my job got internet access and my daily treks stopped. Every once in a while i went to the library to take out a book. it was like seeing an old friend.
One day i looked forward to seeing 163-16 and he wasnt there. I didnt think anything of it, til the house looked dark a few months later.

I saw a woman the same age as 163-16 and i asked for him. She informed me her husband passed away. She was aware of my kind words as somedays, she sat with him in the window. I expressed my grief and condolescences and remarked how i will miss her husband on my walks.

I see her once in a while and stop to speak to her. I ask about her kids, remark on the work on her home and spend a moment remembering 163-16. Today, i walked by his house and the house was empty. but i remembered the man in the window at 163-16.

he lives on within me.