Sunday, June 12, 2005

BURIALS

my uncle died this week, we buried my mother's bother in law

Jewish death rituals are unusual. There was lots talk of about the throwing of dirt on the casket and whether the casket should have been lowered before the family was situated. The realization of burial is evident and mandatory in jewish tradition and custom

I used the opportunity of my uncle's death to talk to my father about what he wanted for his burial and also my mother was vocal on what she wanted.

my father doesnt want to a service at a chapel but rather wants a grave side service. He is not insistant about having a military funeral, though he is entitled and in life wears his caps demonstrating that he is a korean vet. He doesnt want Dirt thrown on him at all.

my mothers doesnt want her likes or dislikes or hobbies listed in the news paper at all.