Friday, June 17, 2005

gold earrings

i came to work and one of the supervisors i work with informed me i had on ONE gold hoop..

my gold hoops have been a staple in my wardrobe for many years and i would het to think i lost one. I noticed they had been loose of late and tried to make it close tighter.

I went to the library to return a book and stood at the counter waiting for the clerk to pull cds. I found myself telling her of the earring and shrugging that if i lost it, it was time. That the earring that was so much a part of my life, may be missing.. I took off the other one and put it in my pocket.

My mind flashed to all those days at ST josephs, walks, the good times, the bad, my reentry into music and my life, stopping smoking, gaining weight, losing weight, all the years reflected in the earrings. Where the earring came with me.. the 4 falcon ridges, the nightstands they were put on as i dont wear them to bed. The earrings had all the stories of at least the last 10 years...

I found myself saying... "if i lost it, maybe it was time for the earring to go. Maybe a change in my life, means that i dont need the earrings any longer. I am just resigned that i may have lost it and it represented a good thing. Maybe it means that i need to buy new ones."

it was easy to let them go.. and then i remembered, i changed clothes a few times this morning, maybe my earring is in my carpet at home...

i better not lose the one i still have..


______________

i remembered i changed shirts a few times before i went to work and when i got home and went into the bedroom.. there was my earring on the carpet near the bed
it was still meant to be mine