Sunday, April 30, 2006

update 2

friday night i went to weight watchers and then to FUV to answer phones and donate time to the fund drive.

saturday, i got up and relaxed and walked and went to the store and decided that i needed to write thank you letters to the interview people and then i was heading to Westport CT to see John Gorka. I had free FUV tickets but it cost me to get there, gas and EZPass. when i got there, i felt grossly out of place. There werent too many jews there and lots of kahki pants, expensive shoes and the shops where PRADA, GUGGI, Tiffany, Armani, furs... westport is as waspy as greenwich only newer money and lots of NEWMAN related things.

i loved the show, it was David Francey opening and John Gorka. I havent seen him since before his newest record 2003 so i missed him. HIs voice is beautiful and he is soo entertaining even though i have seen his shtick 20 times or more. I love watching him and his faces. I had a great time and drove home while listening to Vin Scelsa on FUV

i got to be about 1am and had to get up at 6am to go to my volunteer assignment at TFF. i had to be there at 9am and the Q isnt running only with shuttle buses so i had to take the F. as it was, i was a little early so i got coffee at dunkin donuts.

My first movie was a documentary called - when i came home When_I_Came_Home

it was about iraqui vets- three of them who are homeless after serving their country. TWo of the vets where there. I found the documentary very uncomfortable and maybe that was good. I was anxious. my anxiety about homelessness was heightened as i dont have a job right now and even though there is no chance of being homeless this documentary triggered off some personal issues for me.

the second was a narrative film called The treatment based on new yorker stories and a book by Daniel Menaker

the treatment

it was a romantic comedy by a skillful director. it will be bought i believe and shown in theaters, like Squid and WHALE

the last show of the day was a spoof on 70s horror movies called The hatchet by film maker Adam Green. THE HATCHET
Its a very funny spoof on all the horror movies of the 70s including Mercedes McNab of Buffy in the cast. it was exaggerated but a quality movie, not usually my genre but it broke up the day.

each of the TFF movies attract different audiences.

the 10am crowd was a documentary crowd
the treatment, lots of psychotherapists and older NYers
the hatchet, young marilyn mansion gothic and young film makers
the anti thesis of SAW Horror crowd.

tomorrow two more movies......